Seen around the Web this week:
I’ve been attending yoga classes twice a week for a few months. On Wednesday night, I noticed a faint stink emanating from my squashed-flat, eight-year-old yoga mat. As I was ordering something else from Gaiam, I bit the bullet and ordered a new one — and saw their great list of 50 things to do with an old yoga or Pilates mat (other than throwing it out).
If you’re looking for more takes on frugality, the time is right. Get Rich Slowly hosted the 75th Festival of Frugality a couple of weeks ago, but it just popped up in my feed reader today. Click over for 44 different money-saving ideas.
And my father forwarded this contrarian e-mail message (edited for logical punctuation, and no, I didn’t confirm the numbers — for entertainment purposes only):
Cost Per Gallon . . .
Think a gallon of gas is expensive?
- Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 = $10.32 per gallon
- Lipton Iced Tea 16 oz $1.19 = $9.52 per gallon
- Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 = $10.17 per gallon [Note: Oh, come on, it's usually on sale for $1]
- Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 = $10.00 per gallon
- Brake fluid 12 oz $3.15 = $33.60 per gallon
- Vick’s Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 = $178.13 per gallon
- Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 = $123.20 per gallon
- White-out 7 oz $1.39 = $25.42 per gallon
- Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 = $84.48 per gallon
- And this is the REAL KICKER. Evian water 9 oz $1.49 = $21.19 per gallon! $21.19 for WATER.
Ever wonder why computer printers are so cheap? So they have you hooked for the ink. Someone calculated the cost of the ink at — you won’t believe it — but it is true — $5,200 a gallon. (five thousand two hundred dollars)
So, the next time you’re at the pump, be glad your car doesn’t run on water, Scope, or White-out, Pepto Bismol, Nyquil or God forbid, Printer Ink!